Friday, March 30, 2012

A Typical Day in the Life

On Wednesday my best friend here, Rebecca from Sweden, and I hung out around my house all day, and documented it. We actually had a lesson but my alarm didn't go off and then when we tried to take a shortcut to the bus stop which ended up getting us lost, so we took it as a sign from the universe that we were supposed to take the day off.

My room was a bit messy so Rebecca quizzed me on German vocab while I cleaned up.


I was tired so I laid down on the floor when Rebecca piled pillows on me and declared that I was a sandwich. Then we decided I couldn't be a sandwich because there wasn't another piece of bread, so I was toast. Then she laid down on top of the pillows and we became a giant laughing sandwich, good times.


While I was cleaning I found some delicious chocolate covered coffee beans, which we promptly ate (all 20 of them)


I found all my RYE cards and organized them by country, the most from Brazil!



One of my favorite things about being with Rebecca is I don't have to worry that she'll judge me, in fact we embrace our inner child together often. This day we were planning on building a pillow fort but we just ran out of time, so we'll do it another day. A few days before I found instructions on how to make a basket out of newspaper, so we worked on that while while listening to songs from old Disney movies and the soundtrack from Amelie.


Lunch with my host dad was typical Colombian, rice, potatoes, and meat.


Rebecca accidentally made the last corner wrong... oops!


Later we watched Singing in the Rain, I've been showing Rebecca old movies, like Seven Brides for Seven Brothers and this one, and she's liked them so far. Audrey Hepburn is up next!



Ta da!


There's a bakery right by my house, in between our houses, where Rebecca and I always meet called la Sebastiana. We go there at least two or three times a week, and always get pandebonos. They have games there, we play Uno a lot or I bring a deck or cards and we play a really fun Swedish game Rebec taught me.  Here we're drinking Milo frio, basically chocolate milk, and eating pan de yuca in the first picture, and pandebono in the second (my favorite!) Pan de yuca is made of a potato-like tuber and is hard and crunchy. Pandebono has cheese mixed into the dough and is sold in delicious sticks or rings. I'm planning on learning how to make them before I come back!



After we got back we were planning on making Swedish gingerbread cookies but we forgot to buy sugar, so we'll do it another day


I'm taking German at a university, and Rebecca recently started going with me. It's really fun, we have a great teacher, Klaus from Germany, and we love the class! It's especially convenient since she started going because we can study, practice, and do homework together. This is our completed homework on clothing vocabulary and nominative vs. accusative articles. Was kostet ein Rock (How much is a skirt) vs. Ich habe einen Rock (I have a skirt) very confusing!


For snacks at my house we always make grilled tortillas with ham and cheese but my host dad accidentally got peta bread this time instead, still very delicious.




We had some fun with my computer's camera before Rebecca's mom came and picked her up (she lives really close but we can't walk after dark.)



A perfect day!! I can't believe my Swedish sister is leaving me in 9 short weeks, I don't know what I'll do without her!

No comments:

Post a Comment